Note: due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this schedule is being revised.
Phase 1: Discovery Phase (October 2019 – January 2020)
During this period, we heard from residents, business owners, visitors, and employees in Alameda. We did this through an open house attended by 150+ people; an interactive web map that received 2,100+ comments; a statistically significant community survey; and multiple pop-ups and presentations at existing events. We learned not only what works in the walking and biking environment, but more importantly what keeps people from biking or walking in Alameda.
Walking and biking improvements can come in many forms – these improvements can take the form of:
- Physical infrastructure, such as a plan for where a new bicycle lane or striped crosswalk should be located.
- Programs and events, such as a recommendation to develop an educational program that teaches bicycle maintenance skills.
- Policies, such as a new City ordinance about the dimensions of bicycle lanes.
Also during Phase 1, our consulting team gathered data about existing conditions and ran analyses about what it’s like to walk and bike in Alameda. Our team examined walking- and biking-related issues including:
- Assessing the safety and comfort of Alameda’s walking and biking infrastructure,
- Identifying gaps in the walking and bicycling networks, and
- Evaluating existing City policies.
Phase 2: Drafting Phase (February – July 2020)
During Phase 2, we will bring together the community input, and the data and analysis gathered in Phase 1. We’ll use this to develop draft recommendations for new infrastructure projects, programs and policies so that Alameda’s walking and biking network is comfortable for people of all ages and abilities. During this phase, we will want to hear from you about what you think of the proposed projects, programs and policies, and how you think they should be prioritized.
Phase 3: Finalizing the Plan (August - November 2020)
Finally, we will draft the Plan! It will be a compilation of all the work and recommendations developed over the year. We anticipate that the Plan will be released by fall 2020. The final Plan will go to the City Council for adoption in late 2020.